Thursday, January 28, 2016

Crazy is as crazy does

Had the mental health screening with the counselor yesterday, and it was rough. She was clearly playing devil's advocate, trying to get me to crack, but emphasized the importance of a male role model for children of single mothers, using this weird example to bring the point home:

"They interviewed pimps (!) and asked how they selected the women to be their prostitutes. The pimps picked women without fathers." Ummm so you're saying that my kid is going to be a hooker because I'm raising him/her alone? Great, thanks for that.

She asked me what my parenting style was. She asked me when I would tell the child about their father/the IUI process. She asked many probing questions (I may have cried a little). But in the end I think I passed. In fact, I even gave her something she may use with future patients (or hell - paint on the wall) when I told her my life philosophy is I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than constantly disappointed. She literally paused and asked if she could write that down. Ha. #schooled

No comments:

Post a Comment