Thursday, January 7, 2016

Mapping out the adventure.

For over 10 years, I've been saying that 38 was my "cut-off" age, when I would clearly not be getting married and would just have a baby on my own. Well, I might be psychic, because I'm 38, and clearly not getting married. So it's time to try for a baby. Obviously this is not the ideal situation - who wants to raise a baby alone - but it's something I've always wanted, and time is slipping away. Plus, even though I'll be a single mom, I won't be alone. My family and friends are very supportive, and this kid will have so much love around, it won't even notice the missing parent. (Until Father's Day rolls around.)

Now, I'm definitely putting the cart before the horse here, because I have not yet gone through the process and there's only a slim chance it will work, but I wanted to start blogging about my experiences just in case. I am hoping to do IUI in early March, and who knows how many attempts I'll need before it works. But my doctor made me feel very positive and optimistic about the entire process, and even made me feel a little "normal," saying I was the 40th or 50th single woman he had helped last year alone. And they're all lawyers and doctors and brokers (oh my!). #yougogirls

I did have the first of what will be numerous uncomfortable conversations when making the doctor's appointment, though - the nurse asked if my husband would be joining me for the visit. Ummmm, no. No he won't. And speaking of dads, I still haven't picked a donor - it's a very weird process and more difficult than one would think. Also, it could not be less romantic. I pick the height, eye color, hair color, race, even education level, and for a few extra dollars can see baby pictures. Which in and of itself is tough - everyone is a cute baby. What we need is what they look like NOW. But that's not an option. You do get access to medical history, age (most are sadly in their early 20s), genetic testing, GPA and, most importantly, what celebrity the guys look most like. #teambradleycooper

I've narrowed it down to my top 10, but having trouble choosing after that point. But who cares, really. It would be fine with any of these dudes, all of whom have already had a successful pregnancy (so we know their boys can swim) and are open to being contacted by the child in the future, just in case. Just trying to figure out what hair/eye combo goes best with mine, but let's be honest - I'm totally having a redheaded kid. Better get on board.

Taking prenatal vitamins and have two doctor's visits before the Big One, and just trying not to get my hopes up too high. But I'm thrilled to at least be taking charge of my life and my future, and being proactive. Better than going on one more Tinder date with a d-bag and hoping he calls. #dunzo

1 comment: